This article is directed to etsy sellers and sellers in general.
This is my take on avatars based on my experience.☺ I have changed my avatar many times and so, probably, you.
What I have learned is that your avatar can make a difference for your business. Of course, a small avatar is not the only factor in your success, but it can, definitely, help.
What is an avatar?
According to Wikipedia, “An avatar is a computer user's representation of himself/herself or alter ego, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games, a two-dimensional icon (picture) used on Internet forums and other communities, or a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs. It is an “object” representing the embodiment of the user. The term "avatar" can also refer to the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of an Internet user.”
What does avatar do?
In a way, avatar is your logo, your identity and your visual representation of your business on etsy or other selling venues. The better your avatar, the more recognition it will receive, the more views your shop will get and, ultimately, the more sales will come in.
What are the criteria for great avatars?
It is a subjective matter, but here are some basic criteria to follow:
- Simplicity: you want your avatar to be remembered
- Directness: you want everyone to know what you are selling (your product)
- Quality: you want your avatar to be of a high quality, not a blurred up image
- Consistency: be consistent. Use the same avatar everywhere you go…on etsy, on twitter, on facebook etc… Remember, repetition works!
- Permanency: It is best not to change your avatar at all. Again it adds to your recognition. But if you must, change the product, but keep the basic colors and theme.
- Use of your personal photo as your avatar is not recommended if you are a seller (for general users it’s ok) since you are not selling your image, but your products. In addition, it doesn't look very professional to have the word “SALE” on your personal photo avatar. ☺
Here are a few examples of some great avatars: