Featured Shop: SewDanish




Thank you very much Birgitte for taking the time to answer a few questions about your etsy business: SewDanish - Scandinavian Textile Art. http://SewDanish.etsy.com

Q. How did you hear about Etsy?
A. About a year ago there was an article about Etsy in either Quilting Arts, or Cloth, Paper, Scissor. I was reading the article while flying across the Atlantic Ocean and found it very, very interesting. During our stay in the US I did a lot of research and printed tons of info out from the Storque. Upon our return back home to England, I was all ready to get started setting up my shop, SewDanish.

Q. What made you decide to sell on Etsy?
A. Well I cannot help making things and trying out new techniques. After a while you end up with a lot more than you need. While living in the US I had been selling at a local farmers markets as well as some smaller craft fairs. I was kind of testing the waters as my work is quite different, due to my Danish background. But I got a fantastic and very positive response which gave me the confidence open up a shop on Etsy.

Q. How did you originally get into Textile art?
A. I have been crafting since early childhood and I have never stopped. Through the decades I have been trying a huge amount of techniques. In the early 1980'ies I started quilting and was totally hooked. In 1999 I was so tremendiously lucky to attend a 4 year diploma course in Patchwork and Quilting. What a blast. Very, very busy years with tons of assesments, but what an eye opener. The course was based around art and design techniques, as well as sewing, dying, embellishment, you name it... techniques. From a chosen design source, lets say a study of seedpods, you had to take your chosen design, translate it into a finished piece, without loosing the expression of your design work. Loved every minute of it. A long side this course I took courses in free machine embroidery and creative hand embroidery. In my works, and especially in pieces for exhibitions, I tend to combine lot of these techniques building up surfaces. I just love working with texture.

Q. What motivates you to create new artwork?
A. I belong to 3 exhibiting textile groups. Two of the groups are very focused with lot of challenges. I find that very motivating. We keep each other on our toes!
Otherwise I take a lot of "wierd" design type photes. Looking at them is so inspirational and I simply have to figure out how to translate that feeling into a piece.

Q. Do you have a favorite piece?
A. I don't have a favorite piece, but I have a favorite visual expression. Probably again due to my Danish/Scandinavian background I'm totally drawn to light to medium tones, especially blue/white/creme combined with a minimalistic design with focus on the texture. I don't do dark very well and find it almost impossible to work with in larger exhibition pieces. Mind you, in my shop, I do have a few dark items, as I know that dark colours appeal to a lot of people.

Q. What is your best advice for new etsy sellers?
A. Hmm... my best advice to new Etsy sellers.
Get to know your camera and photo editing program and make the most of it. Dark, dull and messy photoes does not do your beautiful items any favor.
Do a lot of research. Really make use The Stroque and the Forum. There is a wealth of free information out there.
Be prepared to spend a lot of time on the computer promoting your shop. That aspect of having an Etsy shop has deffinately taken me by surprise.

Thank you very much, Birgitte.

Comments

  1. beautiful work from an inspirational seller! love your blog too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice feature! She does have a really nice shop. "hearted" her. Thanks for introducing her to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great feature and such pretty work. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for featuring SewDanish. I love her original work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I really appreciate them. I'm now the happy owner of a blog:
    http://SewDanish.blogspot.com
    Birgitte

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts